Monday, November 19, 2007
by Bonnie Calhoun
My sweet friend Ane Mulligan left a bulletin today, that was so stinkin' funny, I had to post it!
I really need to share with y'all how bad the drought is here in Georgia. It's so dry here that the Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling; the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving out rain-checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back into water.
And the last of the interesting Facts!
1. There is a seven-letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, "therein": the,there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein, herein.
2. Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
3. A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
4. It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
5. Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.
6. The letters KGB stand for Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti
7. 'Stewardesses' is the longest English word that is typed with only the left hand.
8. The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways; the following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."
9. The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
10. Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the correct order, as does arsenious, meaning "containing arsenic."
11. Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the Australian seal for that reason.
12. Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
13. The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase "Shah Mat," which means "the king is dead."
14. The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.