Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A DAY OF INFAMY

Franklin Roosevelt addressed a joint session of congress on December 8th, 1941:

"Yesterday, December 7th, a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."

The dictionary defines infamy as an evil reputation brought about by something grossly criminal, shocking or brutal.

But time heals all wounds, and this particular day has obtained a softer sadder significance. Most of those involved have passed away and our newer generations don't even understand a LP record, let alone a war that happened that long ago.

Let us remember and offer a prayer for those who gave their lives so that we may live free. Since there is no specific day to honor our soldiers who are giving their lives for us daily, I chose this opportunity to honor them also.....

We all came together, Both young and old. To fight for our freedom, To stand and be bold.

In the midst of all evil, We stand our ground, And we protect our country from all terror around.



Peace and not war, Is what some people say. But I'll give my life, So you can live the American way.


I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets.


But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine. I'm just one of the people Who is doing your time.


I'm harder than nails, Stronger than any machine, I'm the immortal soldier. I'm a U.S. MARINE

So stand in my shoes, And leave from your home. Fight for the people who hate you, With the protests they've shown.


Fight for the stranger. Fight for the young. So they all may have, The greatest freedom you've won.


Fight for the sick, Fight for the poor, Fight for the cripple, Who lives next door.

But when your time comes, Do what I've done. For if you stand up for freedom, You'll stand when the fight's done.


FREEDOM ISN'T FREE


....someone pays for you and me

"We can't change the winds but we can adjust our sails."

10 Comments:

  1. Joe said...
    Thank you, Bonnie. I usually don't let these days get by, but I really slipped up on this one.

    You have done a great service.
    M. C. Pearson said...
    Whoshaw! Thank you for the awesome tribute!

    PS I've finally posted
    An Ordinary Christian said...
    Beautiful, sweet. I sure am lucky - well, there is no luck. I sure am blessed for all the ones who have died on my behalf.
    Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
    AMEN...we are all blessed!
    Rachel said...
    Excellent post! I came here by way of Joe's Jottings.

    Thank you for remembering today. We are all blessed indeed!
    Anonymous said...
    This is a beauty, Bonnie. I was tooling right along until I hit that photo of the caskets in the airplane. Wow!
    Bernita said...
    Thank you, Bonnie.
    Denise McDonald said...
    Super great post!
    Jean-Luc Picard said...
    Wonderfully written, Bonnie. It helps us all remember.
    Live, Love, Laugh said...
    Amen and Amen

Post a Comment