Friday, November 18, 2005

1975 - 2005

This is only for those whose level of maturity qualifies them to relate to it...

1975: Long hair
2005: Longing for hair

1975: KEG
2005: EKG

1975: Acid rock
2005: Acid reflux

1975: Moving to California because it's cool
2005: Moving to Arizona because it's warm

1975: Tryin to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
2005: Trying NOT to look like MarlonBrando or Liz Taylor

1975: Seeds and stems
2005: Roughage

1975: Hoping for a BMW
2005: Hoping for a BM

1975: Going to a new, hip joint
2005: Receiving a new hip joint

1975: Rolling Stones
2005: Kidney Stones

1975: Being called into the principal's office
2005: Calling the principal's office

1975: Screw the system
2005: Upgrade the system

1975: Disco
2005: Costco

1975: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
2005: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1975: Passing the drivers' test
2005: Passing the vision test

1975: Whatever
2005: Depends

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things..

The people who started college this fall across the nation were born in 1987.

They are too young to remember the first space shuttle blowing up on liftoff.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced the year they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, Boss, de plane".

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R even is.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet? Tell other old fogies on your list to check it out. Notice the larger type, that's for those of you who have trouble reading...



11 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I didn't really need that this morning, Bonnie.

    Feeling old enough as it is.

    Like unpacking the new stereo system and the next door neighbor kid looks at the turntable and says, "What is that?"

    Or your son coming from school humming Yellow Submarine - now being taught in Music Class.

    Trying to explain a draft card to your 18 year old.
    Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
    Where did you find a stereo system with a turntable????I still have one and I still have a lot of albums...like Lionel Richie, Beatles (Abby Road) and Diana Ross.

    I remember a few years ago, going to the mall to buy a record single. My husband was waiting outside. When I came out I told him we were getting old. The single didn't come on record, only on tape.

    LOL...I still have an 8-track player and tapes!
    Anonymous said...
    I have to agree with ric. I am only 32 and you made me feel old. I actually remember when most of those items happen.
    Denise McDonald said...
    A friend sent that to me a while back - granted he is 30 years older (I'm 33) but made me laugh! glad to see it here - too true and funny!

    was much calmer today 'til the hubby backed the van (with me in it, so I saw he whole thing) into a BIG YELLOW POLE that he couldn't see - sheesh!
    M. C. Pearson said...
    I remember this one...you sent it to me a few weeks ago. Still way to real. :0
    Live, Love, Laugh said...
    I'm with ric, you didn't have to print that. lol, thanks for the larger type!
    An Ordinary Christian said...
    Loved it. I was at work and a woman was talking about the new place that she moved into. She also had her T.V. but she hadn't gotten hooked up with the cable company yet. Someone asked her about watching her T.V. without the cable and she said, "you mean if I just plug it in a socket a picture will come through?" I laughed out loud for real - all the way from the other room. Too funny! My oldest child got a kick out of the fact that I was around when there was disco. I told her I even had disco lessons. She looked at me with amazement. (I'm 43.)
    An Ordinary Christian said...
    I just found your comment on my site. Thanks for helping me with the link thing. I'll have to sit down and do that sometime. (I just opened my email after about three months.) I may have to add that as an option on my site. Isn't that an option if you want to let people email you?
    Tsavo Leone said...
    Oh so true. Oh so very true.

    Have you ever noticed how old folks are getting younger every day?

    I swear it's all down to Relativity.
    Tempie said...
    Oh Bonnie...I really needed this!!! You know I just turned 51 and I love it!!! In fact your post confirms so much of what I was thinking!

    I didn't think like that at 50 just 51...it makes a big difference...smile *Can't explain it!!!

    I was thinking the other day, how would my 22 yr old nephew have existed with no cellular phone, no cable TV, no remotes (TV,cable,DVD,), no XBOX, no computer,etc...not even a color TV...smile

    That's why he thinks I'm from the twilight zone to want some quiet time to relax and read...I love it!!!
    Tempie
    Elektra said...
    Hey! I was born in '87 and know perfectly well that Mork frm Ork froze Fonzie, but Fonzie was too cool to be froze. You could add, however, that people from '87 can't imagine life without TV Land

Post a Comment