Wednesday, November 09, 2005

ANIMAL ESCAPADES #2



I thought this was hysterically funny. Talk about determination. These were sent to me via e-mail, so this bear isn't mine, but it reminded me of a bear story.

One evening, several years ago I was driving home from a Saturday night service. We live in the country and there are no light poles on the roads. (Hmm, imagine that. Someone once told me that she didn't like driving on my road because it was too dark. I told her to come up in the daytime or wait till the full moon, but then she might have to deal with wolves.

After I peeled her fingers out of the skin on my arm, I told her I was just kidding....yea, right! But I digress.....

Anyhow...driving home...dark....no moon....only headlights to illuminate the road in front of me and with high beams on, and no discernable difference, I remembered, only too late, that I had followed a car on a wet, muddy road (because of a tractor that had been in a muddy field). My headlights were giving off about as much light as the penlight in my glove compartment that I hadn't fed a new battery in about two years.

As I climbed the hill, up to the Fire Station (it's a landmark), the dark road seemed to disappear as the light that enters a black hole (like I've seen one and can describe the vision!) I slowed down (something I'm fairly unfamiliar with) and the road sat up. Well, not the road but the BIG bear that was crossing the road.

I stopped rolling, about four feet from it. Hey it didn't want to move and I wasn't going to get out and shoo it off the road! It stood up on it's hind legs and looked at me. Now I'm looking out the windshield, up a hill, and I can't quite see the top of this bear's head.

The only thing I could think to do, with my mouth hanging open, was lay on the horn (boy that has a habit of getting me in trouble) At that point in time I was asking myself if my brain was attached to my body. This bear could tear the hood of my car apart.

Luckily, the bear decided it had enough of the annoying little car and it wandered off into the park beside the Fire Station.

I proceeded home with my heart in my throat and after parking my car in the garage (it took four tries to get into a space that I've been parking in, for the last twenty years. I ran into the house and greeted my husband with arms raised and open wide, exclaiming, "Bear, BIG BEAR!!!"

He looked at me unconcerned and said, "Honey, we live in the country. Where do you expect them to live, down on Court Street?"

10 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    oh, yeah, you're back...

    Great story - nicely told (I especially like the penlight headlights covered in mud)

    Feisty Bonnie, staring down a bear on a dark country road,

    oh, yeah, definitely back from her long weekend.

    very funny
    Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
    What are you doing up so late. I'm a night owl, but I don't expect everyone else to be up.

    More like dumb Bonnie, it coulda' ate me! or at least my porridge!
    Live, Love, Laugh said...
    lol! that was a great story!!! Your husband surely made me laugh!!
    Bernita said...
    Oh, Bonnie, oh!
    ~delighted laughter~ Especially liked the dug her fingers out of your arm bit.
    Anonymous said...
    all over the clock..

    It was just a REALLY BIG BEAR - nothing you couldn't handle.

    Up early, up late, when you do that, you just might get a good giggle before you go to bed.

    Now, you start my morning off picturing your protecting your porridge!
    Denise McDonald said...
    Cute story - I would so love to live in the country but the hubby has this weird notion that no job could be a henderance - go figure!

    =) cute pics!
    Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
    Where there's a will, there's a way, Dennie!
    M. C. Pearson said...
    Bonn Bonn~

    I'd like to see you up against a mountain lion! You tiger you!

    This was very well told...I hope you cleaned your headlights after that!
    Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
    Nah!, My headlighta are always dirty! Sometimes just worse than others!
    Anonymous said...
    Very cute story. How is your writing coming along? I hope all is well with you.Love ya and god bless you always.

Post a Comment