Friday, May 05, 2006

Older Than Dirt....and Rude Awakening

This is a great list. I swiped it from my blogging friend, the published author Dennie McDonald. She got the list from her mom! The bad part is...I remember every single one of these! Gawd...I'm older than dirt!

1) Being sent to the drugstore to test vacuum tubes for the TV.

2) When Kool-Aid was the only drink for kids, other than milk and sodas.

3) When there were two types of sneakers for girls and boys (Keds & PF Flyers), and the only time you wore them at school, was for "gym."

4) When it took five minutes for the TV to warm up.

5) When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there.

6) When nobody owned a purebred dog.

7) When a quarter was a decent allowance, and another quarter a huge bonus.

8) When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny. And thought you'd found treasure!

9)When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high school, if then.

10) When your mom wore nylons that came in two pieces.

11) When all of your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done, everyday.

12) When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking...for free, every time and you didn't pay for air. And you got trading stamps to boot!

13) When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box.

14)When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him, or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it. I once got my butt swatted by our neighborhood cop for running across the street without looking!

15) When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.

16) When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed...and did!

17) When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.


"Please tell me that I'm dreaming, and I don't have my paw around a cat!"

6 Comments:

  1. David Meigs said...
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane...

    Those were simpler times.
    Rulan said...
    "12) When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking...for free, every time and you didn't pay for air."

    Do you have to pay for these things to be done? whoa. You're kidding, right?

    I remember the TV taking awhile to warm up. lol

    Thanks for the chuckle.
    Joe said...
    Yep...me, too. I remember every one of them.

    As the dog would say, "Grrrr!"
    Bernita said...
    I remember ,too, Bonnie.
    Ah well.
    Anonymous said...
    You can tell there's a bunch of old f**ts reading this blog.

    Alas, I remember all of those as well.

    Good grief, Charlie Brown.
    Sandra Ruttan said...
    I'll be in trouble if I say "Man, you're old!" won't I?

    Thanks for the stroll! I remember when a dollar bought substantial candy - does that count for something?

Post a Comment